Community Web Version Now Available
"crinkle" vs "wrinkle" Hi everyone, Could someone please tell me the difference between "crinkle" and "wrinkle"? My understanding is that "wrinkle" is more specific, that it can only be used to describe creases in skin that belongs to an aging person, whereas "crinkle" is more general, and can be applied to humans as well as inanimate objects such as paper. Am I understanding this correctly? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Nanako
Oct 10, 2018 11:33 PM
Answers · 6
The dictionary app the came with my computer says that a "crinkle" is a small crease or wrinkle. It is not common to use "crinkle." "Wrinkle" is used much more frequently.
October 11, 2018
No, to me, wrinkle is more general, and common. I hardly ever use 'crinkle', except in the context of 'crinkle cut chips' and 'crinkle shears'. If anything, a 'crinkle' is an engineered wrinkle, and a wrinkle is an undesired crinkle.
October 10, 2018
To me I do not see a big difference. Crinkle is perhaps a little more like crease for example crinkled paper/creased paper and wrinkled reserved more for, as you say, skin and age marks but if someone said the "crinkles around her eyes" I wouldn't think anything of it.
October 10, 2018
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Korean
Learning Language
Chinese (Mandarin), English