Raymond Ho
What does "play into the elements" mean? Hello, everyone Could you tell me the meaning of "play into the elements" as in "Having lost the toss we were to play into the elements in the first half"? It seems to be related to rugby, but can this expression be used in other situations? Is it related to weather? I have absolutely no idea. Thanks.
The "toss" that is mentioned must be a coin toss/throw of some sort that decides which team starts on which side of the pitch/field in a sport. The "first half" is the first half or beginning period of whatever sport is being discussed, perhaps rugby like you mention. The "play into the elements" part of the quote has to do with weather "elements" like rain, wind, sunshine, etc. The speaker is implying that since they lost the coin toss they are at a disadvantage because they will have to start play facing into, or in the direction of, the wind or perhaps with the sun in their eyes. Does that make sense?
What does "play into the elements" mean? I am not 100% certain, but I think in this context it means that they were going to play, immaterial of not knowing what would happen, the outcome. Maybe someone else can answer this too?
Raymond Ho
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean
German, Italian, Japanese, Korean