Bai
"The warter is ready (水开了)" is this the good way to say it? So a co-worker was boiling some water in the cafeteria/coffee room and left as he was wanted on the phone. I went to the cafeteria and found out that the water was "ready" - switch on OFF position and water boiling. I knew it was for my co-worker and just went out to tell him " the water is ready". He looked up, kinda confused, and said thanks man. I would like to know if"the water is ready" is kinda weird. If it is, what's the best way to say it in a situation like that? Thanks
Just say, "the kettle has boiled" or past tense, "the kettle has boiled". Native English speakers wouldn't say the water was ready unless they were referring to the water in their bath.
I think most people would say "boiled" but I don't see any problem using the word "ready" since the context is clear :)
I would say: The water has boiled. If you say the water is ready, it could imply that it has finished cooking. Hope this helps
Bai