Sofía Martinez
Him + verb and me + to + verb differences Can someone tell me why in this sentence "I have only seen him drink soda" the verb "drink" doesn't have "to" and in this other sentence " Do you want me to go to the park?" the verb "go" do have "to". For me is the same structure and I cannot understand when I need to use "to" and when I am not. Thank you so much!
Elizabeth is hinting at the fact that some categories of verb require 'to' with an infinitive, and some do not. Generally when the verb is about encouraging/causing an action it takes to, and if it is about perceiving it it doesn't. I asked/wanted/told him to eat the cake. I saw/heard him eat the cake.
After the verbs WANT and NEED you have to put "TO".
The following link is helpful for you: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/grammar/british-grammar/infinitives-and-imperatives/infinitives-with-and-without-to
Sofía Martinez