Taka
Quantity or Quality? I know from experience that the habit of avoiding controversy can in the end cause far more trouble than it avoids, because strong feelings,unexpressed,don't die but build up. 

In this case, does "far more trouble" mean "a lot of troubles" or "serious trouble" ?

(Compare the quantity or the quality?)

Please tell me your opinion. (I’m sorry if my explanation doesn’t make sense.)

I think you want to know if "far more trouble" refers to quantity or quality of 'trouble'? Whether it means "a lot of troubles" or "serious trouble" ? The answer is it could mean either, or both. Technically, 'trouble' as a uncountable noun (as in the phrase 'far more trouble') means the general condition. Therefore it could increase and become one more 'serious trouble'. But often of course one general condition of 'trouble' may, if ignored, cause other 'troubles'
Hi! I think I understand you. 'far more' is comparing the trouble it makes as opposed to the trouble it avoids. So if you avoid controversy you will create more trouble. Trouble can be countable or uncountable, but in this sense it is uncountable, an amount of trouble we can't count. So it's not more serious, it's just a greater quantity! Hope that helps a little? Feel free to ask more! Thanks Teacher Zowee :)
Taka
English, Indonesian, Japanese
English, Indonesian