Carlos Martín
Please help me understand this sentence Ryan Gosling descends into feigned inarticulacy and mumbling method madness as a tattooed fairground stunt rider reconnecting with an old flame. I don't know what's a noun, whats an adjective... and that hardens the understanding. I do understand the first part of it. Ryan goes about playing a faked difficulty to talk and... I think mumbling is an adjective there... madness a noun. What's the function of method then? And the same happens to me with fairground stunt rider
12 Eki 2018 20:13
You are right about "mumbling" and "madness". "method" is a noun but works as an adjective here. It is part of a compound noun. "method acting" has a special meaning - you can look it up. The phrase beginning "...as a...." defines Ryan Gosling in this context.
12 Ekim 2018
What a great question. (I don't think I have never used the noun "inarticulacy" in my life!). For the adjectives at the end of the first clause the author means them to apply to the madness. Something like this: Ryan Gosling descends (Verb) into feigned (adj) inarticulacy (noun) and mumbling-method (adj) madness (noun) as [=playing the part / acting as] a tattooed (adj) fairground (adj) stunt (adj) rider (noun) reconnecting (verb) with an old flame (noun).
12 Ekim 2018
Carlos Martín
Catalan, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Catalan, English, French, Portuguese