Hemant
What is the difference between fundamental, essential, basic, primary and elementary? What is the difference between fundamental, essential, basic, primary and elementary?
These words have many meanings in different contexts, but here are some distinctions related to the core ideas of “important” and “easy.” 1. Fundamental = part of the intellectual foundation of some subject.. Example: “The fundamental principles of quantum physics.” Fundamental does not mean “easy” or “simple.” 2. Essential = something that is necessary, and without which a thing cannot exist or is impossible. Example: “Freedom of the press is essential to a healthy democracy.” 3. Basic = simple, uncomplicated, or at a low level of skill. Example: “He has only basic language skills in Spanish.” “He understands the basic rules of chess, but does not understand the finer points of strategy.” 4. Primary = of first or highest importance. Example: “The primary reason that I went to medical school is that I like to help people. A secondary reason is that I wanted a high salary.” 5. Elementary = simple/easy. Example: “Addition and subtraction are elementary math.”
Hemant