Tatiana
Professional Teacher
colour .... When I suggest "Let's colour smth RED" should I say "colour red" or "colour with red" or "colour in red"? Thank you!Yes, It's children colouring book. Now I see the difference, thank you!
"Let's use the color red" or "let's use red" - (when suggesting a color for coloring for a Childrens book). "Let't use red to paint the wall." Color is american. Colour is commonwealth english/british
Yes you can say ''Let's colour something red." this works naturally. Colour with red or colour in red assumes you are doing a colouring activity already and are suggesting red as a choice from other colour choices.
You can just say "let's colour this red.". If you want variety, you can also say "let's colour this IN red."
I feel like 'colour this red' is a little weird. Is it for children, with a colouring-in book? I would just say 'let's make this red' or 'lets's colour this in red' For painting a wall, etc. 'let's make this red' not using 'colour'
What is your context? Are you talking about a children's exercise, or something like painting a wall? As Keith said, it is quite different. If you are painting, then you would usually use 'paint this red'.
Tatiana
English, French, Russian
French