★KIDS★ADULTS OSCAR
Professional Teacher
把遥控器递给我?? ba3 ...... qi4?? Bǎ yáokòng qì dì gěi wǒ Bǎ dì ..:? WHat does those words mean?
From my perspective as a fellow-learner, I’ll expand upon zao’s excellent and succinct answer: 把 is a sort of preposition that marks the direct object when the DO comes before the verb. It’s used a lot when something physical happens to the DO, leaving it in another place or condition. There’s an entire italki article written about its use. 递 means “pass” and 给 means “to”. The reason 给我 comes after the verb has to do with the 把 construction, which always requires a phrase after the verb describing the disposition of the direct object.
把遥控器递给我。 递 means "hand over, pass something to somebody". 把 cannot be directly translated. It's functional word that brings the object forward. For example, if you want to say "Give me the remote control", in a normal sentence order, we say 给我遥控器. In this sentence, 给 is a verb, "give". 遥控器 is an object. Very common in Chinese, we bring the object forward before the verb, so we need 把 to change the sentence structure. 把遥控器给我。 Another explanation from my teacher.
★KIDS★ADULTS OSCAR
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese