Alisa Morgunova
An adverb or an adjective? You see, there's a sentence like "It sounds correctly". One told me that it's wrong but why? Doesn't it need an adverb instead?
"It sounds correctly" is indeed wrong. This is because of a very simple rule: Verbs of perception (look, smell etc) are followed by adjectives. Here are some more examples: Your dress looks beautiful. This soup tastes horrible. This perfume smells nice. Our bed feels comfortable. The teacher seems good. As you can see, these are all adjectives. 'Sound' is also a verb of perception, so you say 'It sounds correct' in the same way as you'd say 'It sounds nice' or 'It sounds terrible'. You need to use an adjective, not an adverb.
Alisa, I study Russian and teach English to Russian speakers, so I imagine it sounds weird to a native of Russian :) In Russian, I imagine this construction focuses on the verb "звучи́т" and would use the adverb "правильно". So the focus is "how does it sound"? However, English, this construction focuses on the "subject", not the verb. The focus of the idea: "What is the subject like?" So we use adjectives.. Here are some examples that I hope show how the focus continues to be the subject requiring an adjective. Example: The song is beautiful. The song sounds beautiful The idea is great. The idea sounds great. The answer is correct. The answer sounds/looks/seems correct.
correctly IS the adverb, but it's not correct! Adverbs describe the manner in which a verb is done: He sang happily They walked slowly In this case, the word "correct", describes the pronoun "it", not the verb "sounds". If you substitue "seems" for sounds, that might make it clearer for you: It seems correct It sounds right I hope that helps
When you say "it sounds correct", you are speaking about what you expect about "it". When you say "it sounds correctly", you are speaking about the way it sounds, for example, "That note sounded correctly" However, the last sentence is almost not used because of common use which becomes grammar later. For example, in Portuguese, we can say "He died happy" as well as "He died happily" but this is not allowed in English, not because of logic but because of common use. You must say "He died happily". However, you can say in English "He died bored"... As you see common use overcomes logic.
The right form would be 'it sounds correct' for most uses, or almost any use. Here 'correct' serves as a complement to the sense verb 'to sound'.
Alisa Morgunova
Belarusian, English, Polish, Russian