Niwantha
Have I sued "in terms of" correctly in this sentence? Hi friends, Have I sued "in terms of" correctly in the following sentence? Generally, should it be put at the beginning of a sentence or at the end? " John and I are on the same page when it comes to expanding our horizons, in terms of knowledge. " Thanks in advance! Niwantha
Hi Niwantha, 1. We use "in terms of" to focus on a certain aspect of something. On the other hand, "when it comes to" is used to refer to a specific matter. 2. "Exanding your horizons" means learning; acquiring "knowledge" is also learning. Example: A: He can rattle on for hours when it comes to the topic of sports cars. B: He can rattle on for hours in terms of the topic of sports cars. C: He can rattle on for hours about sports cars in terms of their specifications and history. You may notice B sounds odd as someone is focusing on a topic and "when it comes to" should be used. C is correct as there are many aspects of sports cars (e.g. specifications, models, their history, models) and "in terms of" focuses on a specific aspect/on specific aspects. So, you could modify your sentence, and here are some alternatives: "John and I are on the same page when it comes to expanding our intellectual horizons." OR "John and I are on the same page when it comes to acquiring knowledge." The position of "in terms of". D: In terms of service, both hotels are given the top rating. E: Both hotels are given the top rating in terms of service. In D, the sentence starts with an emphasis on the service aspect: in sentence E, the sentence starts with an emphasis on something similar between two hotels. Otherwise, the overall meaning is the same. I hope this helps.
'In terms of' and 'when it comes to' are similar, so this sentence feels repetitive. I would use one or the other and say.. "John and I are on the same page in terms of wanting to expanding our horizons through knowledge. " or "John and I are on the same page when it comes to wanting to expanding our horizons through knowledge. "
Niwantha
English, Sinhala