Lawrence
Community Tutor
A question about "be of". Would you like to give me a hand on understanding the below sentence? Choose books that you feel are of importance to yourself How should we understand the phrase "are of" in this sentence, I'd like to rewrite this sentence like that, Choose books that you feel are important to yourself.
Hi Lawrence; You have the correct understanding of the meaning. However, the verb "to be" is missing. "Choose books that you feel are important to yourself". are of importance are important I hope this helps, Stephen
In this case, "are of" is only being used because of the following word, "importance". It's a far more proper way of saying, "are important". And to rewrite this sentence, a more natural way you could say this is: "choose books that you feel are important to you." or simply "choose books that you think are important". Don't forget the "are" in sentences like these! "Are" is being used in place of "is" because "books" is plural. If it were a single book, "is" would be used, instead.
Lawrence