Nikita
petaled scent Hello, could you explain the word PETALED in the following sentences, please? 1) (About a candle) Check out this supersized version of Baies, my favorite ROSE-PETALED SCENT! 2) Luckily the FRESH PETALED SCENT of violets wafted behind me instead of other odors. 3) I would go with a WHITE PETALED FRAGRANCE and stick with it. (yes, it's "fragrance" here, but I'm quite sure "scent" works just as well here, doesn't it?).
As far as the first one goes, I read it as describing the scent to be one of rose petals. In the second one I see 'petaled' as just a descriptive word to paint a more vivid image. Saying "Luckily the fresh scent of violets wafted behind me" would be perfectly fine as well, it's just to paint an image in your mind. The last one is using fragrance because it's describing a woman's perfume most likely, and in that sense white petaled fragrance reads to me as a soft, non harsh perfume.
It is marketese... It isn't meant to mean anything.
[Petals are the separate segments which make up the colored parts of flowers (corolla parts of a flower). 1) (About a candle) Check out this supersized version of Baies, my favorite ROSE-PETALED SCENT! [It is an unusual way to say it, but it means the scent of rose petals (rose flowers).] 2) Luckily the FRESH PETALED SCENT of violets wafted behind me instead of other odors. [It means the scent of fresh flowers. ] 3) I would go with a WHITE PETALED FRAGRANCE and stick with it. (yes, it's "fragrance" here, but I'm quite sure "scent" works just as well here, doesn't it?). ['Fragrance' is used more for pleasant scents, like the way perfume smells. 'Scent' is used more generally. ]
Nikita