Lily
How common is it for Americans or British people to own gardens that they plant/garden themselves? The input of speakers from other English-speaking countries is welcome as well :) Thank you!
In ireland, most people live in houses with gardens and I would say the majority of them look after their own gardens, although some are just a lawn with a border bed containing a few ornamental plants. People who rent houses or who live in apartments usually don't do much gardening, but in Ireland the vast majority of people live in houses rather than apartments and most people own their own home eventually. I think, a bit like the British, we are a nation of gardeners!
In the USA I do not know anyone who does this. Many people plant flowers in their front lawn, but not many grow food. I have many houseplants, and I have one friend who grows baby tomatoes and basil on her porch.
Interesting question! My understanding is that the British and American meanings for the word garden are different. In the U.S., a house might have a yard, meaning the area of land/earth in front of (front yard), beside (side yard), and/or behind your house (backyard). The yard might have grass, shrubs, flowers, or just dirt and rocks. It might not be pretty and it might not have any plants growing. I think Brits call the yard a garden. In the U.S., a garden is an area that is cultivated to grow particular vegetables, flowers, fruits, shrubs, etc. It can be decorative--they have many beautiful flowers in their garden--or useful--she grows vegetables and herbs in the garden. Therefore I have a yard but I don't consider it a garden. I have grass growing in my yard (a lawn) that is kept trimmed, and I have some shrubs in a planting bed that don't get much attention. We trim them occasionally. I don't plant new plants regularly or put in seasonal flowers. So I wouldn't say that I have a garden. In the U.S. most houses in suburban or rural areas have some kind of yard. Some people pay someone to take care of the grass, like mowing and applying chemicals to control weeds, and maybe trimming shrubs. Some people do the work themselves. Some people have what I would call a garden, with pretty landscaping or vegetables. A lot of people keep this kind of garden because they enjoy gardening as a hobby. Wealthy people might have a gardener who maintains this kind of garden for them. I hope this helps!
In South Africa many people live in houses and have gardens. I do.
It is very common if a person lives in a house. For people who live in the centres of cities it is different, because there are no gardens. "Allotments" are also popular (in the UK). These are portions of land in the city that people use to grow vegetables, fruit or other plants. A standard area of about ten metres by three is rented for a small fee to an individual. Each set of allotments can have several hundred of these areas. There are allotment gardens in most cities in the UK.
Lily
Arabic, English, French