Cole
Is this sentence correct? ジョンはデレクよりのんびりしています。 John is more easygoing than Derek. Is the progressive tense necessary for this meaning or could I replace it with the non-past as in, "ジョンはデレクよりのんびりします。"? I am also wondering what word would most closely match the colloquial "chill" in English. For example, "That dude is so chill, nothing really fazes him."
Hi! のんびりしています in this sentence doesn't indicate a progressive action. The ~ている form can also be used to indicate a particular state or condition. Examples: 1. 瘦せる "to get thin" → 瘦せている "to be thin" 2. 乗る "ride or take (a bus, a car, etc.)" → 乗っている "be in a bus, car, etc." 3. 眼鏡をかける "to wear glasses" → 眼鏡をかけている "be wearing glasses" Therefore, regarding のんびりしています in your sentence, it means "to be more easygoing" You can't use します in ジョンはデレクよりのんびりします。to express the same statement. I believe that ツンデレ colloquially indicates a chill, cold or aloof personality. Hope that helps.
Cole
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
Chinese (Cantonese), Spanish