Linny
Could you tell me where I am wrong in these few sentences? I've been practicing writing with a textbook for academic writing. But some answers given in the book are different from mine so I would appreciate it if you could let me know whether my answers are also okay or not! ---- 1. People who change their minds are often accused of contradicting themselves. (textbook answer) People who change their minds are often blamed for contradicting themselves. (my answer) 2. Researchers have come to the conclusion that moderate consumption of red wine has health benefits. (textbook answer) Researchers came to the conclusion that moderate consumption of red wine is beneficial for health. (my answer) 3. Some people jump to the wrong conclusions without trying to find out the truth. (textbook) Some people jump to wrong conclusions not even trying to figure out the truth. (me) 4. Decisions made on the spur of the moment may later be regretted. Decisions one made on the spur of the moment might make him or her regret later. Thank you in advance!
(Part Two) 3. Some people jump to the wrong conclusions without trying to find out the truth. (textbook) Some people jump to wrong conclusions not even trying to figure out the truth. (me) It is more natural to use "without trying" or "without even trying". We use "without even" to emphasise that something is not done when it should have been. We "jump to THE wrong conclusions" because there are right and wrong conclusions, and we are specifically focusing on the wrong kinds. 4. Decisions made on the spur of the moment may later be regretted. Decisions one made on the spur of the moment might make him or her regret later. The first sentence is correct. I would modify the second sentence: Decisions one makes on the spur of the moment may cause regret later. You may have noticed that I kept "made" in the past tense in the first sentence, while I changed your "made" to "makes" in your second sentence. This is because your first sentence can be thought of as "Decisions (that are) made on the spur of the moment may later be regretted." Verbs used after "is/are/was/were" should be in the past participle form. For your second sentence, I used simple present tense because your sentences provide well-meant advice which is always true. I have also changed your "might" to "may" as it is probable that rash decisions cause regret later on. "Might" is more often used to describe hypothetical possibilities. I hope this helps.
(Part One) 1. People who change their minds are often accused of contradicting themselves. (textbook answer) People who change their minds are often blamed for contradicting themselves. (my answer) We "blame" someone when we believe that he or she is at fault for an unpleasant situation, while we "accuse" someone when we make a claim or conclude (even without conclusive evidence) that he or she has a certain nature or has done something wrong. I can't say that your word choice is wrong but based on clues such as "contradicting themselves", it is likely that others will decide that these people don't mean what they say (i.e. contradicting themselves) based on their history of changing their minds. 2. Researchers have come to the conclusion that moderate consumption of red wine has health benefits. (textbook answer) Researchers came to the conclusion that moderate consumption of red wine is beneficial for health. (my answer) I would say that "have come" is more appropriate as researchers made a conclusion in the past and the conclusion is still regarded as true now (which is why the research finding is published). In your answer, "is" is a linking verb where an adjective (beneficial) is used to describe a noun phrase "red wine", and your sentence is also correct with a slight modification: "Researchers (have) come to the conclusion that moderate consumption of red wine is beneficial for health."
My only comment is that any English language test is to show that you can use the language. As your answers are so similar to the ¨form¨answers it makes me wonder if you are really just trying to memorize the ¨correct¨ answers. The answer given is just an example and the examiners marking it will be looking for your own answer, not one that you have learned from a book. This is especially true if the academic test is part of the IELTS test.
I can helpe you
hello how are you? I am English learner and I am looking for language partner, so can we practice together?
Linny
English, German, Korean
English, German