Edi Wang
Achievement and Accomplishment They are really the same thing in my opinion, but I still want to know if there exists any difference between them? Does anyone know the details?
Hi The simple answers is yes, they're synonyms. So you're right in suggesting they are the same thing. However, the more complicated answer is that whenever you look at a list of possible synonyms and decide which one to choose there is often a deeper process connected to how informal/formal, and how commonly used, a word is. I wouldn't say that 'achievement' is less formal, but it is more commonly used than 'accomplishment', therefore the decision to choose the word 'accomplishment' possibly suggests a bit more care has gone into choosing the word, and this choice possibly reflects the sense that an 'accomplishment' has a greater value. So it's a bit of a 'grey area', but on the whole I'd say 'accomplishments' are worth more than 'achievements'.
The Cambridge Learner dictionary definitions distinguish them slightly: Achieve = to succeed in doing something good - usually something difficult Accomplish = to succeed in doing something good. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/learner-english/accomplish
Nothing is the same.. everything that is similar has slightly different meanings/nuances/uses.. but sometimes it requires a lot of thinking about, like this one! lol
Edi Wang