Aya
conjugate Korean verbs 1- how can I conjugate Korean verbs ( verbs with compound vowels) such as 쉬다 in present tense (in polite way" informal high")? 2- Do all compound vowels have the same rule?
I don't quite understand what you mean. Formal: 쉬다 + 아/어/여요 = 쉬 + 어요 = 쉬어요 쉬다 + ㅂ/습니다 = 쉬 + ㅂ니다 = 쉽니다 Informal (among friends) 쉬다 + 아/어/여 = 쉬어 For the 아/어/여 form, if the vowel in the base form is 아/오, attach 아: 맑다 (clear) + 아/어/여 = 맑 + 아 = 맑아 괜찮다 (it's okay) + 아/어/여 = 괜찮 + 아 = 괜찮아 If the vowel in the base form is anything other than 아/오, attach 어: 먹다 (eat) + 아/어/여 = 먹 + 어 = 먹어 읽다 (read) + 아/어/여 = 읽 + 어 = 읽어 If the verb is of the 하다 form, attach 여: 공부하다 (study) + 아/어/여 = 공부하 + 여요 = 공부해요
Can you show me any example of "verb with compound vowel"? 쉬다 would be 쉬어요 in Informal polite present. You can use wiktionary to see Korean verb conjugations. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/쉬다#Conjugation
쉬다. 쉬고있다, 쉬는중이다. 쉬고 있어요. 쉬고 있어. 쉬어요. 쉬는 중 입니다. 쉬어. don't try to find rules. It makes learning language more difficult. preposition, postposition, all the other suffixes are really a lot. so the best way to know it is speaking, reading, and writing a lot and have a lot experience. Korean also can't organize it. And there are so many exceptions. just try to get familiar with it through speaking a lot. then you naturally feel it when you use something wrong it feels weird.
I just read in one of my self study books that 쉬다 is conjugated to 쉬어요 in present tense. But the book didn't give a set of rules for conjugating double vowels. Just that one specifically.
I'm not a native Korean speaker so I can't say for sure if this works in every situation, but because 쉬다 is actually the noun form of a verb, if you were to use it in a sentence you would be using the verb form 쉬하다. Then you can conjugate it like any verb. 쉬해요 / polite imperative "take a rest" 쉬자 / familiar "let's rest" and etc. If you run into other words with double vowel endings and you aren't sure how to conjugate it, check to see if it's actually a verb in noun form, because then you can remove 다 and replace it with 하다, and that will make it possible to conjugate.
Aya
Arabic, English, Korean, Spanish