Hiro
considering introducing The sales department is considering ( ) a new line of our products in selected areas next month. A.introduce B. introduced C. introducing D. to introduce I thought D is the correct answer, but according to answer sheet, C is the correct answer. I don't understand why introducing(verb) after considering (verb)? I would appreciate if anyone could explain for me.
"introducing" is acting as a gerund, not a progressive/continuous verb. After "consider", we would usually use a noun: "I am considering that plan." Adding -ing to a verb can do 4 different things: 1. it can make the verb progressive: "I am sitting right now." 2. It can turn a verb into a gerund, which acts like a noun: "Too much sitting is unhealthy." 3. It can turn a verb into an adjective: "The sitting man explained things to his standing son." 4. It can be used at the beginning of a participial phrase, which acts like an adverb: "The man spoke slowly, sitting in his chair." Here, it is being used as a gerund (use #2), so it can be put into a structure that usually takes a noun. "I am considering food" (noun)--> "I am considering eating" (gerund).
Some verbs must never be followed by "to+infinitive" forms; they must always be followed by "-ing" forms. "Consider" in one of those verbs. Another verb in this group that you might know is "enjoy".
The ans is ''C'' because to is also used as a preposition of movement or direction
Hiro