reza
hi,what are the common definitions of "stake" please tell the common meanings and give an example for each meaning. also at stake= at risk?
This sounds a little too much like a homework assignment, so I am not going to give a direct answer. Your first step should be to consult a dictionary. I personally like ahdictionary.com. Offhand, I can only think of two basic, common meanings as a noun. The dictionary lists eight but most of them are slight variations on those two. There are also two basic meanings as a verb, each of which means "to make use of a stake." There word "steak," for a cooked slice of meat, is completely different, but has the same pronunciation as "stake." They are "homophones." This has been the subject of jokes and puns. "Don't try to mark the borders of your garden with steaks, because animals will eat them." The word "mistake" (error) is not connected to "stake." It is formed as "mis-" + "take," not "mis-" + "stake."
reza
English, Kurdish, Persian (Farsi)