Marie
The definition of "clumping phones" Hi, I'm wondering to know what's the meaning of "clumping phones"? Here is the full sentence: "Until about a decade ago, the office phone was the symbol of white collar work. It was the most important thing on any desk. But now these clumping phones sit largely silent." Thanks
Nov 12, 2018 10:57 AM
I've had a quick look at the original--I think the author has created an adjective from the verb 'to clump.' To clump is to walk slowly and heavily, reinforcing the idea that these phones are not as flexible or fast as our smartphones.
Thanks for your answer. Actually I've seen 'clumping' in the text of one of BBC 6 minute English programs.
The original phrase is odd. "Clumpy" (bulky and unfashionable) is more natural than "clumping." New Oxford American Dictionary clumpy | ˈkləmpi | adjective (clumpier, clumpiest) 1 (clompier, clompiest) British (of shoes or boots) heavy and inelegant.
Marie
English, French, Italian, Persian (Farsi), Spanish
French, Italian, Spanish