Peter
plz tell me the meaning of (1) induced coma (2) fledging country thanks what's the meaning of "induced coma"? and the meaning of "induced" here? what's the meaning of "fledging country"? and the meaning of "fledging" here?
3
0
1) induced coma: this means that someone is put into a coma on purpose. 2) fledging country: is also the same as fledgling country - it means a country which is at the early stages of it's development (the term fledging is most often used to describe baby birds when the leave the nest or reach adulthood).
I didn't realise that there were two different words: "fledging" and "fledgling". Thanks to Fanahan Barry for pointing that out. Just to clarify further: "fledgling" is a noun, and "fledging" is a verb. (In other words: a fledgling is a thing that is in the process of fledging!) Now I realise why they say English is a difficult language to learn!
Hi Peter "Induced" refers to a state that "caused" or "brought about". An "induced coma" is a coma that has been caused intentionally. (I don't know much about medicine, so I don't know why a doctor would induce a coma in a patient, but I guess there must be some medical reason for doing so!) I think the word "fledgling" originally referred to a young bird (still in the nest, unable to fly yet). It can be used to describe people to mean "young" or "inexperienced". When used to describe an economy, it means that the economy is new, just beginning to grow, not yet mature, not fully developed.
Peter
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Spanish
German