Sarah
"Feel" and "sense" what is the difference? A. How do you know that I worried? B. I sensed that. Can I use "felt" here? What is the difference then?
Definitions in context: Feel: to have a belief or impression, especially without an identifiable reason. Sensed: to be aware that something is the case without being able to define exactly how one knows. Given those two definitions, they are interchangeable in this context. Your sentence is not correct, however. It should be: A. How did you know that I was worried? B. I sensed it. OR A. How did you know that I was worried? B. I sensed that you were worried.
I think "sensed" is better in your example. It essentially means "noticed" here. I sensed that the people were getting bored so I cut the meeting short. "Feel" is typically used to communicate information about the person saying it, so wouldn't be as good in this case. I felt that the movie was too long. (It was my opinion that the movie was too long.) People could definitely say "I felt that you worried" but I would say that it means more than just "sensing" it or "noticing" it. It suggests that it also affected my feelings.
thank you so much!
Yes, you can. Either is, as often, being used symbolically in this kind of sentence. They are extremely similar in meaning, in this usage - I might almost say identical. "To sense" might use any of the five sense - sight, sound, smell, taste, touch. "To feel" uses only touch. In use, some people would say "I sense" to imply that they are using some kind of intuition or "sixth sense" to understand something. And "I felt that" might be taken to imply an emotional response, a feeling.
You can use felt. There's not really a difference between the two. I sensed that you were feeling tired. I felt that you were feeling tired. Both are just fine. There may be some minute differences, but for the most part they can be both used.