moussa
Pull oneself together Hi, everyone. I know that to pull himself toghether means that he calms down his mind back. But in the following sentence , "he pulled himself together so that he seemed even smaller", it is same meaning that I know? (The full text abstracted in Guns, Germs, and steel is that: As the young doctor watched, the husband turned red, pulled himself together so that he seemed even smaller, tried to disappear under his bed sheets, and stammered in a barely audible voice.) I could not find out any corelations 'between pulled himself together' and 'he seemed even smaller'. I appreciate your help in advance.
In this context it means he is pulling the different parts of his body together or inwards to appear physically smaller. Maybe bringing his shoulders together, curling himself into a ball, hunching/bending himself tight ... something like this. All to appear smaller in size.