Pablo G. Oliveras
Question tag in a subordinate sentence I was speaking out-loud and at one point I said: "I don't think you would laugh at me, wouldn't you?" And then I thought.. "Mmm, funny. According to what we are taught (at least in non-English-speaking countries), attending strictly to what rules dictate, this would be an incorrect question tag. It should be 'I don't think you would laugh at me, do I?" I am 99% positive the first one is the natural way of saying what one means, but how to explain the reason if we need to? Do you think there is a flaw in how the rule is expressed, as it stands?
As Michael stated, “I don’t think you would laugh at me, would you?” is correct. It is questioning the second person whether they would laugh at you or not? The second one, “I don’t think you would laugh at me, do I? “ is questioning yourself whether you think that or not but it still wouldn’t be correct because you stated that you don’t think that.
Yes Michael is right....
"I don't think you would laugh at me, would you?"