younes
overcome hi there.whats meaning of" overcoming" in this sentence? and meaning "jazzmen"? can you tell me gist of paragraph,of what Terkel talking about? SACKS: Yeah, I know. I think there is a sort of living theater when, you know, in the clinical life people open themselves, they tell you these stories of how life has, you know, how a strange sort of neurology has wounded them, or pushed them in various ways and their responses. But I think there’s a sort of bad theater, I think it would be awful to portray people as a sort of freak show. But I think with respect, one can convey the drama. TERKEL: But also to me it’s overcoming. The idea that you overcome. I don’t mean a sentimental overcome. I mean the fact that you, again, and that surgery on your right hand, and your left gets to work. You know, you see, the right hand is the doer, the left hand is the dreamer. Some of the jazzmen say. And so, the dream! So how to describe you? You’re a neurologist, yet you know you’re a wonderful writer. But you’re also a chronicler, and, in fact, there’s a poetic touch. But it can’t be helped— that’s what you are, and that’s the work you do. And so there is this artist. His name is Magnani.
hi jacque."idea that you overcome"referes to what idea?
I looked this up because I was interested in the background behind this piece of writing. Its an excerpt from "Oliver Sacks - the last interview"! very nice! I see now why this writing seems a little disjointed and broken. It was hard for me to understand - and I'm a native English speaker. This would be easier for you to follow if you could see them speaking. The written interview doesn't do it justice. it doesn't convey the same meaning as it did when it was said. I suspect that the pause in "I mean the fact that you, again, and that the surgery...." was really intense in the interview. This intensity would convey a lot of meaning which cannot be transferred when you simply write the same words on paper. When he talks about "overcoming", he is talking about how you can adapt. When you loose a right hand, the left hand takes over.... it has to! The left hand then adapts to the loss of the right hand. This is how the body overcomes adversary. When he says "Jazzmen" he is talking about people who play Jazz. ZZ Top's front man used this phrase when he was talking about meeting B.B King.