Heshel
Would a native advise me on the following question? What is the correct question for the follwing answer? Answer: Donald Trump is the 45th president of the United States. I would like you to advise me on what is the best way to ask the question: 1. Where does Trump stand among American presidents? 2. What number is Trump president? 3. What is trump order in the US presidency? Or any other suggestions you can offer. I hope you get what I exactly mean! Thank you
Hi Heshel--Good question! In very informal, native English, which is often incorrect grammatically, I would have said, "What number president is Donald Trump?" But listen to those other good answers, too! Ilene
What number president is Donald Trump?
None of the three questions is correct. "Which is an ordinal number/chronological place of President Trump among the U.S.A. presidents?"
"Which president is Donald Trump?" is the question that first came to my mind. However you might not be understood out of context. If it is known that you are taking about the number of presidents, you would be understood. "How many presidents came before Donald Trump?" also came to mind - although it is an indirect question.