Wu Ting
How would you interpret the “sick-dog look” in the context? How would you interpret the “sick-dog look” in the eighth sentence? Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Goodman” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. the context: The trial lasted three months. Loads of time considering that everyone was convinced Goodman did it. I told my dad that something about the whole story just didn’t make sense to me. I mean, we knew Mickey. He’d spent a lot of time at our house. And my father said: “You never know what goes on in people’s heads.” My mother said she always knew he was riding for a fall. He had that sick-dog look in his eyes. She said it made her shudder to think that this murderer had eaten out of her dishes, had sat down to the table with us. I thought back to the last time we’d met. It was at Dafne’s funeral. She’d been sick, and died. We were fresh out of the army. I came to the funeral, and he made me leave. He was so open-and-shut in the way he told me to beat it that I didn’t even ask why. That was about six years ago, but I still remember the hateful look in his eyes. We haven’t spoken since.
I’ve never seen this use of “sick dog” before, but it probably means “looking like a dog that is sick with rabies” — in other words, looking “crazy” and “not normal.”