Donny Cornelius
Synonyms of "broken" Hey guys, I'd like to know how Americans say "broken" in a more colloquial way, particularly in these contexts below: 1. My cellphone is broken 2. The elevator is broken 3. My shoes are broken 4. My washing machine is broken 5. The bridge is broken 6. The ATM is broken 7. My favorite book is broken 8. The umbrella is broken 9. My TV is broken 10. The remote is broken These are all I could come up with offhand. I believe there are several ways of saying "broken" in American English. Thank you!
What about books? could I say that my favorite book is broken? For example in a sentence: "That imbecile, ungrateful person torn some pages off of my favorite book that I lent him, now the book is broken."
Thank you for your answer, yes that does sound weird if I say it in English. But in my language, there is only one word for broken, including shoes could also be "broken".
I would usually say "broken". Shoes don't usually break so that sounds a little weird. You might say "my shoes are worn out" but that is a little different. You might say "my cell phone is busted" but I never say that. If it can't be fixed, you might say "my cell phone is shot". If you are feeling German you might say "my cell phone is kaput".