essit
What's the meaning of "lick sb." in American English? I am reading an interview about Vincent Lawrence. When he was reminded that his "one, two, and three was nothing more than Aristotle's beginning, middle, and end. Lawrence said, 'who the hell was Aristotle, and who did he lick?' I always thought that was the perfect Philistinism." What's the meaning of "Who did Aristotle lick?"Hope someone could help me with it. Thanks!
I think he is making a reference to the idiom "lick someone's boots" or "lick someone's ass" which mean to suck up to or kowtow to or be extremely obsequious towards. Basically it means, "Who the hell was this Aristotle guy, and who did he suck up to in order to get so famous/revered/important."
essit
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Shanghainese), English, Japanese, Korean
Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese, Korean