Gabriel
Help(please) Hi, there I am having some trouble with the English genitive and adjectives. For example, which of the following phrases are correct? * There’s nothing better than mom’s homemade food” or “There’s nothing better than homemade mom’s food”? * “Don’t believe him. This is just another old politician’s excuse” or “Don’t believe him, This is just another old politician excuse” Thank you
'homemade' is an adjective that modifies the noun 'food'. Adjectives modifying nouns generally come directly before them. (adjective + noun) Examples: I saw the FAT DOG barking at the woman. "That BLUE COAT is mine. Possessives generally come before adjective-noun combinations. Examples: The general's green uniform. This is my uncle's favourite game.
I think I'd use the first sentence in each of your examples
"There's nothing better than mom's homemade food" is definitely correct. The word order in the phrase "homemade mom's food" feels completely off. Same with your second example, you need the possessive 's in "politician's excuse" because it is his excuse. The other sentence isn't correct since it's missing that component.
Só you would put “homemade” before “mom’s”, even if it refers to “food”?
(see below)