Dana
How to say "I can make people interested in new ideas"? I want to say the above sentence in Japanese, but I'm not sure how. I would think something along the lines of 新しいアイデアに興味をそそります, but that seems wrong to me. Thanks for your help! ありがとうございます!
私はその新しいアイディアにとても興味があります。
My pleasure.
Thanks a lot, Ueda-san! That was very helpful!
Even if you revise the Japanese sentence as I have corrected, however, it doesn't mean the same as your English sentence does. / The former means YOU are the one who has interest in it, though the latter means you are the one who makes PEOPLE have interest in it. / When you said "that sentence seems wrong to me", you guessed right. It was different from what you wanted to say.
Other than that, just to let you know about the usage of "そそる" in your Japanese sentence "新しいアイデアに興味をそそります", "そそる" here is a transitive verb which means "arouse", "evoke", "intrigue", or something like that. So, you should say "新しいアイデアが興味をそそります" if in the active voice or "新しいアイデアに興味をそそられます" if in the passive voice. /"新しいアイデアに興味をそそります" is NOT grammatically correct. The combination of particle and verb in this sentence should be "が and そそる" or "に and そそられる". "に and そそる" does NOT work.