XiaoDeng
probe From a book You need someone to probe you in that direction. It won't just happen automatically. (The whole sentence means we all need teachers in our lives.) What does 'probe you' mean here? Probe someone, do we use probe this way?
'Probe' can't be used this way. I think they meant 'push' ??
I personally have not used or heard of the word (verb) “probe” being used in this way. To “probe” something is to investigate it or examine/explore something. May be , the words (verbs) you are looking for are steer or guide. 1. You need someone to “steer you”in that direction. It won’t just happen automatically. 2. You need someone to “guide you” in that direction. It won’t just happen automatically.
Thank you guys all.
Gray, You are indeed correct. I meant to write “have not”.
I think Biruk meant to say that he had never heard the word used this way, since the rest of his comment seems to be listing alternative words that would make more sense. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the word "probe" to this way. You can probe someone for information, or for some kind of response, but I don't know what it means to probe someone in a certain "direction."