Lyubov
Why "with you" ? Dear native speakers, please, explain to me, why some English-speakers write: " How is your day going with you?" " How was your night going with you?" Why " with you"? I have never met such questions in any books. Is it correct to write this way?
A few corrections here: We usually say "how is it going with you?" or "how was your night?" "how is your day going with you?" and.. "How was your night going with you?" are never said. These feel like really bad English sentences to me. "How is it going with you?" This is a really relaxed way of asking how you are doing. we say this a lot and its nice. We add the "with you" to specify that we are asking how they are doing. I guess "how is it going?" could be a bit broad. "how is it going with work/the weather/the kids/brexit?" Generally - "how's it going?" and "how's it going with you?" are the same thing. The second one is more relaxed and friendly. hope this helps.... good question!
There may be regional variations. (To ask for news) - How's life going? - How's it going? - How's it going at work? (To ask for news about a relationship, usually after a dispute) - How's it going with your boss? - How's it going with your girlfriend/boyfriend? (To ask for news about a person) What's X doing these days? What's X up to these days?
Hi Lyubov, In Australia, this is not very common. When it is used here, we usually don't use "your" (night/day/etc). We usually say "the" (night/day/etc), not "your" because "with you" asks about your relationship with the (night/day/etc).