_?_
"I have proof in (a) video" The sentence: I have proof in (a) video that would confirm [something which is related to someone]. Does the sentence take the article "a" before "video" or not? Or are both acceptable but the meaning differs in each version?
Your sentence sounds a little awkward. Using "a" as the article isn't the best choice because "a" refers to any video in general. Better options include: I have proof. It's in the/this/that video. There is proof in the/this/that video. The proof is in the/this/that video.
I think you would need the article "a" in that sentence. However, this is more commonly said as "I have video evidence that..."
I disagree with Jan here. "I have proof in a video" sounds fine to me. You shouldn't say "the" video unless you've already mentioned which video you're talking about, and you shouldn't say "this" video unless you're holding or pointing to the video itself. "I have proof in a video" means I have a video, and there is proof on it. It's correct to use "a," since you're mentioning the video for the first time. You would then call it "the video" in the rest of the conversation, since the other person would then understand that you're referring to the same video you've already mentioned. You do need an article if you use the preposition "in." You could say "I have proof on video" without an article -- we use the phrase "on video" in much the same way as the phrase "on TV," with no article. It means the same thing as "in video form." If you use the preposition "in," though, then you're referring to a specific video, so you need to use "a" or "the" before "video."
Thank you a lot, Patricia, for explaining the issue! Is it possible for "form" to be implicit in the sentence?
You would say "in a video". The only time you would omit the "a" is if you changed the sentence to "i have proof in video form" but that is quite unlikely to be used.