Rae Ellingham
Pronunciation Question Hey all I'm trying to improve my listening skills and have a quick question regarding the pronunciation of works such as "universadade" and "noite". When these words are said slowly it sounds to me like "u-ni-ver-sa-da-je" and "noi-che" but when I'm listening to conversations its more like "u-ni-ver-sa-daje" and "noiche". What is the correct pronunciation? Many thanks, Rae.
Hello there. Well, universidade, uni-ver-si-da-de and noite, noi-te. The Brazil is very big and there are sundries accents. Try say like this: Univer and cidade(city), now fast speak univercidade(it's written worng, but the song is right). Noite: When "e" is last letter of word and previous letter "d" or "t" the song of "e" become "I", but it's not grammar rule only regional manneirism, for example in the South of Brazil, they speak: noite, leite, cidade, maldade, chocolate. While here in São Paulo we speak: noiti, leiti, cidadi, maldadi, chocolati.
Hello, Rae! Ok, because there are mainly brazilian and portuguese variations of portuguese language, the sound depends of which variation we are talking about. In Brazil we pronouce the "de" in words like "universidade", "saudade", "cidade", "capacidade"... with that sound like "dj". But not always, words like "dedo", "devolver", "déspota", "descartar", "Deus" we pronounce the "de" like you pronounce the same particle in description or design. Words like "dia", "direito", "disciplina", "disco", "distante", the "di" is again like "dj". I am not from Portugal, but I know there they always prounce "de" or "di" the same way like the "de" in design and the "di" in different, respectively. About the "te", "ti", many times we pronounce like "tch". Works like "noite", "inconsequente", "diferente", "variante", "este", "somente", "frequente"... we pronounce this way, with the sound "tch". And, "tia", "quantidade", "identificar", "nativo"... the "ti" is like, again, "tch". This is in general, but remember Brazil is a big country, so we have different accents. ;-) You can use the site https://forvo.com/ to compare the pronunciation between differents accents.
well Rae as you can see we don´t speak the same portuguese as we write, and some times in informal talks we use a lot of contractions I don't know how to translate this to english but when we speak Universidade we change the letter "E" for the "I". It seems like "Universidadi" and "Noiti"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GlphTxlJx0 See the video at the beginning. You can see the "boa noite" said differently.
Yes. "t" sounds like the English "ch" and "d" sounds like the English "j" in many Brazilian dialects. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia. In most Brazilian dialects, including the overwhelming majority of the registers of Rio de Janeiro (from where this process is said to have expanded to elsewhere in Brazil),[26] other fluminense-speaking areas, and São Paulo, as well some rural areas of Portugal, the dental stops are affricated to [tʃ] and [dʒ] before /i/, /ĩ/.[27] source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_phonology