Na Nobu
About "However" I watch youtube where a native English speaker teaches English in English. When she explains something, she sometimes says ・If however... ・Most people however... ・However... I'm confused when to use "however". Would you teach me it?
"However" is the most common "conjunctive adverb." Conjunctive adverbs are a large group of words that connect two sentences. Conjunctions are words like "and," "or", and "but" that connect two halves of a sentence across a comma ( , ). "I like chocolate, *but* Sam likes vanilla." Conjunctive adverbs like "however," "nevertheless," and "furthermore" connect two sentences across a semicolon ( ; ), colon ( : ), or period ( . ) You need to use a comma after them. "I like chocolate. *Nevertheless*, Sam prefers vanilla." Conjunctive adverbs can also be used to strengthen conjunctions after a comma. You NEED to use a conjunction BEFORE a conjunctive adverb after a comma. "I told Sam to stop eating vanilla, *but nevertheless* he continued doing it." You can also use conjunctive adverbs to interrupt a clause. When you do that, you should put commas on both sides. "Sam continued to eat vanilla. When, *however*, I punched him, he stopped. Sally, *though*, told him that he should continue eating it. She said he shouldn't listen to bullies like me."
Ashton Thank you for your explanation! But what I confused about is the position of "however". If the "however" was after "Most people", would the meaning change compared with "However most people"?
Oscar Thank you for your proposal. I'd like to know what is proper position of "however".
I think it's kind of like しかし! Or just another way to say "but." More examples in English, these sentences mean the same thing: I want to go to the beach, however, I have to do my homework. or I want to go to the beach, but I have to do my homework. I hope that helps!
I can help you