saeiiiid
Which one fills in the blank best? Hi I have difficulty geting the idea that the missed word ib the following sentence is trying to convey, so I can't figure out the answer The book appears to be very ......when you read its outer jacket and the back cover, but as you read it, you find that there is very little substance as it is far removed from practicality. 1)prolix 2)sententious 3)defeasible 4)incongruos Thanks
You need a new teacher or a new book ! Those words are rarely (if at all) seen and none of them work with the sentence. 'Prolix' means overly wordy or too lengthy - that doesn't work here. 'Sententious' means exaggerated/affected/pompous moralizing. But this doesn't work either. If it were simple moralising it would maybe work, but not 'pompous moralising' which is what the word means. 'Incongrous' means inappropriate - that doesn't work in the sentence. 'defeasible' meaning to cancel/annul is used in legal contexts, so it doesn't work. So none of the choices work. The closest to working is 'sententious', but that's not right either.
Very unusual choices! The words defeasible (annulled) and incongruos (not reasonable) don't fit! The words prolix (unduly long or wordy) or sententious (terse or short) are possible. I would choose the word, prolix if the cover of the book APPEARS to promise a long and wordy read. The book appears to be very long and wordy (prolix) when you read its outer jacket and the back cover, but as you read it, you find that there is very little substance as it is far removed from practicality. I think words such as discerning, astute and profound might fit better. Hope this helps
Choice 2 is the only choice that fits. However, all of the vocabulary is rare.