Kihwan jung
"As if I would talk on such a subject!" meaning. This sentence is from "Alice in wonderland". I brought the original phrase below. `We won't talk about her any more if you'd rather not.' `We indeed!' cried the Mouse, who was trembling down to the end of his tail. `As if I would talk on such a subject! Our family always HATED cats: nasty, low, vulgar things! Don't let me hear the name again!' I'm given to understand that the word 'as if' is used like "I felt as if I were floating in the air". So the question is what is the meaning of "As if I would talk on such a subject!"?
I would like to add to Neil's answer that it's a bit stronger than simple would not. "As if I would talk on such a subject" gives the idea of "it would be ridiculous to think I would talk about such a subject" Another example: Person A: "I can't wait to go to college." Person B: "As if you are going to graduate high school." Meaning: It would be ridiculous to think you would go to college because you are not even going to pass high school.
It means "I would not talk about such a subject". 'As if I would' is an expression that means 'I would not'