Kai
English grammar Hi friends, what does "yet" mean in these two contexts? "We'll make a fisherman of him yet." "you may survive us yet."
Thanks John, I get it now.
YET has the same meaning as STILL. It could be replaced like this: -We'll still make a fisherman of him. Or - We'll still make him a fisherman. -You still may survive us. The meaning of these words (yet and still) is about time. The 1st sentence means: we did not make him a fisherman UNTILL NOW, but we will. The 2nd one means: you may survive us BY NOW or FROM THIS TIME. To make it more clear, we may say: "You have a chance to survive us." One good example of "still" and "yet" is: I've lived with my parents since I was born. Then I could say: "I'm still living with my parents." or "I live with my parents yet." I hope I could've helped you.
Kai
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Hokkien), English, Indonesian, Malay, Russian
Chinese (Cantonese), English, Indonesian, Malay, Russian