Andrés
Is it possible to change some words from this sentence? Original sentence: This muscle movement allows dogs' eyes to "appear larger, more infant-like and also resembles a movement humans produce when they are sad". My version This muscle movement allows dogs' eyes to "appear larger, [like an infant] and also resembles a movement [that] humans produce when they are sad". ____________ Besides: How do you call this kind of constructions like "infant-like" or "human-like" and others? Thank you
Hi there, I think your alternative sentence seems fine too, though 'more infant-like' seems more comfortable in a list of 3 to me. Compare: My friend is A, B, and C. -> Good style My friend is tall, child-like, and lots of fun to spend time with. -> Good style and easy to understand. My friend is a very tall individual, like a child, and lots of fun to spend time with -> Bad style and confusing. (Is he tall and like a child, or is he tall like a child?) And as for your second question, these constructions are called compound adjectives. You can read more about using hyphens in English here: https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/hyphens.asp Hope that helps :)
Yes, that looks OK to me.