Tâm
How to use Here and There? 1 If I am sitting with my friends, and three people walk over to my group, then can I say : Here are Ann, Tom and Mary. 2 If I point at a photo, then can I say : Here are Ann, Tom and Mary. Thanks!
Hi Tam, In the specific contexts you provide, I would say 1) “Here *come* Tom, Ann, and Mary”. (In other words, it’s a statement about their movement towards us, not just their presence.) 2) “Here are Tom, Ann, and Mary *in* [some year or some performance]/*at* [some location or some event].” (That is, I think the statement needs some complement. Why point them out?)
1. It seems strange. You could say "This is Ann, Tom, and Mary." Or you could walk up to them and say something like "These fine people here are Ann, Tom, and Mary." 2. Yes, you can use here in this example. Imagine a photo of a group of people in 2 or more rows. Ann is the front. Tom is in the front but farther to the left or right. Mary is in the second row. It would be common to say, "This is Ann. The guy over here is Tom. The girl in the back there is Mary." Depending on where the people are in the photo, what you say is natural. For example, if they are all together and in the front.
#1 would not be a common thing to say. I'd like to introduce you to (my friends) Ann, Tom and Mary. (if they are here and can hear you) Here come Ann, Tom and Mary. (they are on their way and can't hear you) #2 is not natural. Pointing to a picture, you would more likely say "These (people) are Ann, Tom and Mary" If you are looking at pictures of other people, you could show me a different picture and say "Here is a picture of Ann, Tom, and Mary"
I say it depends on the proximity. If the three people are close enough where you can carry normal conversation with them, you can use 'here'. If they are further away across the room and not part of your conversational group, you should use 'there'.
Thank you for your help!