Morgana
Can I use "as they come" and "as it comes" to mean the same thing? I just came across a video on the internet in which a person says "oh, he's as gay as it comes", then I proceeded to search this idiom up, but the results I got didn't really match with what that person was trying to convey, which in my opinion would be something more like "he's as gay as they come". Now my question is: can I use both these expressions to mean something or someone has a trait to the highest degree?
Yes, you are correct. In fact, I think your version "he's as gay as they come" is much better. The use of the neuter "it" strikes me as weird. Yes, I suppose it's supposed to be referencing the situation, not the person, but it strikes me as the kind of awkward phrasing typical of spontaneous speech.
Yeah now it makes sense haha. Thanks for commenting too!
I agree with Phil ; "as they come" has this meaning. "As it comes" has a couple of meanings, and neither of them fits here. "As it gets" is a workable alternative to "as they come" ...