Dan
deserving of forgiveness Hello, I do understand what it means but wonder about the 'of' as I think it should be 'a' in the expression below. "No matter what the circumstances, everyone is deserving of forgiveness." Can you let me know why 'of' is used in the above? Thank you!
It is perfectly grammatically correct and derived from old English. It expresses the relationship between two things. Or in this instance we use “0f” after an adjective followed by an explanation. This phrase is a very short concise example of such a sentence structure. Deserving “of” forgiveness. Of / from / made of / out of / related/ connected can be synonyms sometimes
It is used colloquially, but technically speaking, is not grammatically correct. Deserving forgiveness is correct.
Someone else could maybe give a more grammatical explanation but in English we tend to treat things like 'forgiveness' or 'sadness' not as objects. They are more abstract and so we use 'of' instead of 'a'. Deserving of an icecream on a hot day. Deserving of a raise at work. Deserving of forgiveness. Deserving of happiness and peace.