Sombaty
May & Might How can I use May & Might correctly.
Hi Sombaty, "May" and "Might" are both used to say that something is possible in the present or to talk about possible future actions or events. Usually, you can use either word in the same way. "We may go to the store to get ice cream."/"We might go to the store to get ice cream." / "They may know the way to San Jose." / "They might know the way to San Jose." The difference in usage between the two is that when we talk about a situation that is not real, we have to use MIGHT; we can't use MAY. We are thinking about a hypothetical scenario that is different from reality and then looking at a possibility within that scenario. So: "If there wasn't an ocean in the way, Americans might travel to Europe more." Not: "... Americans may travel ... "
May is used in the present and future tense, to wish someone, to show uncertainty, and to show politeness while asking for permission. What is that? That little creature may be a cricket. I may go to the movie with you. May I use the washroom? Also, to wish someone: May god bless you. May god be with you in these difficult moments. Might is used in the past tense and in a similar way as may especially when you are not so sure about something. What was that? That little creature might be a cricket The internet was down for 2 hours. This might be due to the technical glitch. You might win a lottery if you keep dreaming.
Example if you are asking for permission or granting permission: 1. May I be excused from the dinner table? 2. Yes you may. This is a tough one because in a lot of different situations it depends on which of these words I will use. May is typically used when expressing a fact of something like: You may die if you don’t wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. When using might, you are describing a possibility of something happening like: You might die if you don’t wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. This is really confusing if you are not a native english speaker like myself because we use these words interchangeably in everyday conversation and there is only a small difference between the two words