Elena Belkina
the hardship and grief for those of us left behind Hi! I heard this in an American movie. It was said by a religious man at a child and a man's funeral. They died in a crash but the mother survived it and is present at the funeral. "Why are the innocent punished? Why the sacrifice? Why the pain? There aren't any promises.Nothing's certain. Only that some get called, some get saved. She won't ever know the hardship and grief for those of us left behind. We commit these bodies to the void with a glad heart." I don't understand "She won't ever know the hardship and grief for those of us left behind." Does the man mean the child or the mother? "The hardship and grief for those of us left behind" doesn't make much sense to me as well: I don't understand why the for preposition is used here and not "over". So could you please clear this up for me? I would appreciate any help very much. Thank you!
"She won't ever know the hardship and grief for those of us left behind." -- She must be the child, because the mother is left behind (still alive) and certainly knows the grief. "the hardship and grief for those of us left behind" -- Those who are still alive experience the hardship and grief, it is their grief, so in that sense it is "for" them. I hope this helps.