Meg.T
identify with? "I identify with the phrase "You can't go home again."" meaning I think this phrase is true. Is it correct to say "identify with" in this context? Should I say "resonate with"? or other expressions?
Hello, both your options are good. Another option that is popular these days is, "relate to" as in, "I can relate to the saying, 'You can't go home again.'" All these, identify with, resonate with, and can relate to don't exactly mean that you think the saying is true, but that you, specifically, have experienced the truth of this saying in your own life. Small, but important difference. Hope that helps!
Either "identify with" or "resonate with" works fine for this. I might flip it around and say "[the saying] resonates with me." Another alternative is "[the saying] speaks to me" or "...speaks to my experience."
In my opinion, "identify with" is better when used with other people. I identify with those people who lost their homes in the fire. I lost my home once too. I identify with the protesters. I identify with that character in the movie. Your example isn't terrible but sounds a little sloppy. I prefer the alternate suggestions from the other respondents.