younes
and he was about to have a book published. hi whats tense this sentense? And so when I heard about things, Stephen had become nationally famous in England, there’d been a television program, and he was about to have a book published.
It is the passive voice. We often use the passive when we have services done by other people. I had my car fixed yesterday. I will get my hair done tomorrow. I am having my lawn mowed this afternoon. "About to + verb" means we are on the verge of doing something. I was about to call you when you came to my door.
I agree with Jan--it's passive voice. It's also future in the past. All verbs have mood and voice, and if the mood is indicative, they also have tense. Here, the mood is indicative. The voice is passive. The tense is future in the past. have it published=passive voice was about to=future in the past.
Future in the past. First, there are several different ways to talk about the future in English. All of these are usually described as "future tense": I will go there. I am going to go there. I am about to go there. When you are telling a story in the past, sometimes things will be in the future *for the story*, but you don't know if they are in the future for YOU, the speaker outside the story. So, you use "future in the past." I will go there.--> He said that he *would go there*. I am going to go there.--> He said that he was about to go there. I haven't checked with him yet, so I'm not sure whether he actually went there or not. I am about to go there.--> He was about to go there, but I stopped him, so he didn't go there.