Willians
Which is the method you use to memorize Chinese characters? I use an Anki like app and I write down, but it seems even though it remains very hard to register the 汉字 into my mind. I have to do them 'thousends' of times to get some result. Furthermore I create some mnemonics that help too, but in a small amount because it is not so practical to make them.
write it read it repeat,repeat repeat, days weeks months years
Divide them to elements: 语 = speech + five + mouth 话 = speech + thousand + mouth 课 = speech + field + tree 谢 = speech + body + inch
Do you understand character decomposition? Elements, phonetic (sound) and semantic (meaning) "radicals" (roots), whatever you want to call them, are really key.
Elaborating Phil's answer... For example, "good" 好 is written this way because it is good for the family for the woman to bear a son. This is the thinking when the character was first composed. The modern interpretation of having a son and daughter is not correct. Chinese society is still a male dominated one! Another example, is 如 - a woman's mouth (words) are always iffy and cannot be trusted! 每 = every because the top part is the character of a "man" and "mother" at the bottom (to make the character looks prettier). The philosophy here is that "every man must have a mother in order to exist". 海 = every "sea" must have water! The left hand part is the radical for water. So 漠 means "desert" because the right part means "do have". One last example, 明 = bright because these are the two sources of light in ancient times. Know the reason behind the composition of the character and you will be able to memorize them so much easier. It you need more examples, just ask :) Also the simplified forms had most of these semantic encodings are removed and will be more difficult than the traditional forms to see and understand the reason behind their composition.
Chinese kids are required to write them down on their notebooks 10 times. But I doubt if we really remember them thru repeated writing. Good question though.