Joey
Questions about English usage Uber is big in Cape Town and it has been driving the local taxi driver out of business. Can I omit the "it" in the latter sentence: " Uber is big in Cape Town and has been driving the local taxi driver out of business. " Thank you.
Yes you can and it would be correct.
Hi Joey, In fact, the second option without the pronoun is more natural — both verbs go well with the sentence’s subject and can be joined by “and” alone. The correction I would make is to “the local taxi driver”. The most straightforward phrasing is just the plural “the local taxi drivers”. I understand wanting to refer to them in the abstract, but it sounds slightly odd to do that with the definite singular here. “Local taxis”, “taxi companies”, “taxi drivers” — all are more natural phrases without the definite singular.
Thank you all!😄
Yes, you can. In addition, you need to put an "s" at on driver since I'm sure there's more than one taxi driver in Cape Town! :-)
Both are correct, but the second flows more naturally.